Friday, June 28, 2013

Why A Cat Has Nine Lives & A Dog Has Only One

PP:


"How are you doing? Just want you to know I've been keeping my distance so you can focus on your spiritual quest. Also, I've been busy with family matters, which is resolved now. Soon, I'll have more time to get on with commitments. Priority of course is the book that we are working on. So, I see you sometime in July for comments on the book, is this right? Another matter, is the PubStar file ready for sending thru Skype? If not, no problem. Your inputs are more important. Miss you a lot. But life goes on....

This morning, I saw a stray dog die but it was a happy death because somebody came to give him a home, as he had wished to die in the care of somebody who "loves" him. Some dogs are not so lucky. In fact, some people are not so lucky. A person may be in the care of somebody, but he may not feel as wanted as this stray dog had been during his last hours. I once had the privilege of taking care of a dying person, as his close relatives were too engrossed with their own personal problems. I think that I made this man happy.

Life is short, my friend. I have seen it go, right to the very last breath. I tried to extend this man's life through my pleadings with God, remonstrances, promises, but no - the timetable has been set. All evidences of this man's  virility - his thick curly hair, his broad chest and brawny arms, his thick eyebrows and deepset eyes that seem to glow darker with increasing passion - became meaningless as soon as life was snuffed out of him. Even when I touched his still warm hand, I felt him detached and distant. He was no longer there.

Twenty seven days ago, this man and I were both just having a hamburger at a famous fastfood joint. He was laughing at a joke I shared. He had an unbearable bellyache that night and his other friend rushed him to the hospital. At first, the diagnosis was appendicitis, but they found lymphoma after a series of tests.The sound of his hoarse laughter seemed to fill that hospital ward, and the nurses looked at me in surprise. Yes, it was I who had laughed hysterically, in disbelief that I will soon be left alone. 
Buddies & Inseparable

This departed friend and I were buddies, and inseparable for almost two years. A cat has nine lives but a dog has only one, I did not know this before. I want to believe this and so you must. There were instances that I felt invincible and most powerful. I can see through walls and project outcomes. That was when you believed in me. But some people came in - five of them - and gave you "expert" advice. They have cut through the cord which binds us. I will give you one of mine if ever you need it again...but you are drifting away..."

No comments:

Post a Comment